Ingredients for shells:
- 300 gr (10.58 oz) all purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 glass of Marsala liquor
- 1 teaspoon coffee dust
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon dust
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
Ingredients for filling:
- 500 gr (17.63 oz) ricotta cheese
- 150 gr (5.29 oz) powdered sugar
- 100 gr (3.52 oz) orange and lemon candied peels
- 80 gr (2.82 oz) plain chocolate chips
- 80 gr (2.82 oz) crumbled pistachios
– oil for frying
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, egg yolk, sugar, cinnamon, coffee dust, butter and a pink of salt. Add the Marsala liquor and mix until it becomes a smooth dough. Spread a white cloth kitchen and place the dough in the center. Wrap the cloth arount it and let it rest in the fridge for about 1 hour.
In a medium bowl whisk the ricotta until smooth. Sift in the powered sugar, chocolate chips, orange and lemon candied peels. Stir and let it rest in the fridge for half an hour.
Meanwhile roll the dough until it is very thin and cut the dough into fourth and work in small batches. Cut square and wrap each one around a cannoli mold. Use a little oil on the edge of each round to seal it shut.
Fry the cannoli shells in hot oil until crispy, 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and let them rest until cold. Just at that time gentlly slide off the mold. Repeat with all squares.
Fill the cannoli using a pastry bag from both ends, dust them with powdered sugar and serve garnishing with chocolate chips, crumbled pistachios or candied orange peel at each edge.