Pasta e fagioli * * * Pasta and beans
Ingredients (serving 4)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 slices lard or pancetta, chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce or canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 350 gr short pasta
- Grated Parmigiano or Romano, for the table
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Heat a deep pot over medium high heat and add oil and pancetta. Brown the pancetta bits lightly, and add herb stems, bay leaf, chopped vegetables, and garlic.
Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomato sauce, water, and stock to pot and raise heat to high. Bring soup to a rapid boil and add pasta.
Reduce heat to medium and cook soup, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente. Let soup rest and begin to cool for a few minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top with lots of grated cheese. Pass crusty bread for bowl mopping.